The Pope flying in
so we decided to change up the order and head to....Trevi Fountain
We had a whole 16 minutes here I believe. It gave us just enough time to throw in a coin (to ensure we return to Rome) and take a few pictures. It is said that if you throw in 2 coins you will get married and 3 you will get divorced. I made sure to only throw in 1. :) I also thought it was funny that about 3,000 Euros are thrown in a day.
We then headed back to Vatican City. We saw some cool sites along the way.
| "the wedding cake" I dont even know what it real purpose was... haha |
| We saw a bunch of super old structures |
| The traffic is UNREAL |
When we got back to Vatican city the line was amazingly long. It was nice to have a guide and get right to the front. While she purchased our tickets Phil was able to hold her "tutu" This is what she used to help us keep track of her. We also wore headsets so we could hear everything she said as we walked.
My favorite part of all the museums was our tour guide gave us an overview of all the pictures Michaelangelo painted on the ceiling of the Sistine chapel so that when we went in there we already knew about them all of them and could just look.
Us outside Vatican City
Also an interesting fact is that Vatican City is a country, we have been the smallest country in the world. :) Here is a view of what we saw...
All the chairs set up for the Pope's talk
Second window from the right is the Pope's
Swiss guards
LOTS of this in the museums, and tapestrys and maps, and more statues
The Pope spoke under that little white thing
We also got to see inside the Sistine chapel but you are not allowed to take pictures. It was really beautiful. Also we saw where the smoke comes out to signal that a new Pope has been chosen. And I thought it was interesting that they do that choosing in the Sistine Chapel.
St Peter's Basilica is the largest Catholic church. Inside they showed a lot of other popular churchs size compared to it, it was very impressive.
Funny we had no idea why you touch this but everyone was so Phil wanted his pic doing it. lol we still dont know! haha
Me with the Holy Door it is only opened every 25 years lastly in 2000
After we finished up here we grabbed a quick bite to eat at a local place, Phil and I had sandwiches similar to the day before that were really good. Walking back to the bus after we saw a lot of gypsies. They intrigues me and still do, I wish I would have had time to watch them finagle some people. :)
The Colosseum
This was my favorite part of the day. It is just crazy to think they can even build something like that! CRAZY! It was amazing. Phil and I watched Gladiator on the way to Spain in preparation. :)
The floor use to be where the white flooring and railing is. All of the other walls are the underground area where people prepared and such.
The whole outer wall you see in the left side originally came out to where the sidewalk is. It was damaged during an earthquake.
The whole gang
Like I said it was a VERY long and busy day. I am so glad we got to see as much as we did, because who knows when or if we will ever go back.
That night we tried out the Mexican restaurant on the ship. It was good and every time we ate at one with a cover charge we ate ourselves sick.
I also think that was the night we saw the acrobat show. Pretty good.














3 comments:
AMAZING!
Wow! Your trip looks and sounds like it was amazing. Can you believe you can now say you have been to Italy?! So lucky. :)
Your trip looks amazing!!! I loved Rome and Florence when I was there. Monaco looks amazing, put it on my wish list that will probably never come true.
Post a Comment