Saturday, September 15, 2012

Disneyland 1/2 marathon

This has been a long time coming. I think we registered back in February and it is a good thing because it sold out in less than 30 days. We planned our Disney trip around this and my brother Ky, sis Lynae and Phil and I were pumped to do it. We had heard from many people that it wasn't a race to do for time because all the characters where out and it was awesome picture taking. Boy was I glad we had all planned on being slow because it WAS PACKED! Literally. There were 24,000 runners/walkers. Most of the race was on huge roads and even then when running you were weaving in and out of people. Anytime the road narrowed you had to walk...wall to wall!

So we had to be there bright and early at 4:30. We took the short walk from our hotel and joined the masses. My sis and I had heard people dressed up so we thought "what the heck?" and joined in the fun. We got a few pics to start the morning off. To start the run they even had fireworks after the national anthem. There were people as far as you could see. The race started at 5:30 but our corral didn't go until after the sun had come up. And who else would be there to send us off but Minnie and Mickey! So fun!


The first 3 1/2 miles ran us on the main streets around Disneyland and through both parks. Oh my fun!  All the characters where out and we needed pics with all of them. I hadn't been to Disneyland since I was 4 so it was really fun and magical to be there again. Especially in such circumstances. I am glad we didn't plan on going fast because those first 3 1/2 miles took us well over an hour! haha So worth it!







 Isn't Ariel beautiful? I felt like such a schmuck next to her! haha

Once we came out of the parks we ran for about 6 miles to Angel stadium. It was actually still pretty cool because they had SO many dance, cheer, band, car groups that is was VERY entertaining. I only had my ipod turned on for like 2 miles total. Right before Angel stadium the course really narrowed and you pretty much had to walk or risk falling in some super nasty water. It stayed that way through the stadium. Tight squeeze!



When we left the stadium we were at about mile 10, this is where we split up. I got a little ahead and I decided to just go. The last 3 miles were fun cause I ran my normal pace and passed a bazillion people! haha I was doing some serious weaving. I finished just under 3 hours. 2:55 something. A whole hour more than my training times. 

Yahoo we finished! It was really fun. I am so happy we did it. I think I probably wouldn't do it again (unless I did one in FL too and could get the coast to coast medal) but it was such a fun experience. 

6 comments:

Momma Fish said...

I'm so super excited for our trip to Disneyland!

Thompson Family said...

That sounds SO fun! I totally want to do that!

Jennie said...

How fun!! Were your kids so jealous when they saw pics of you guys next to the characters?

ANGELA OR PAUL said...

HOLY FUN!!!!! Love all the pics

Meg said...

Oh my gosh that looks SO FUN!!! Way to go! I did a half marathon once, and swore never again. I like to live up to my promises, but a race that would require walking for some of it and picture taking in Disneyland, I maybe could do.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if my last comment posted...but I am so glad we did this. It is a memory I will cherish forever and I am not quite sure if that is because this is the only time I will ever be within 10 mins of your time (unless of course you are in a wheel chair...ha) or because I got to run with my family in Disneyland...prob a little of both...it was soooooooo fun!!!