Today I went up to the hospital in time to be there for rounds. I wanted to be in the loop. It seems like you get so much more information if you are there when they are all bouncing ideas off each other rather than just getting the simplified version from the NNP later.
I sat with him for a good hour and a half before rounds. I did his cares, held his hand and talked to him. He was in and out. When I would talk he would open his eyes and then when I stopped he would drift off. When they came to round I got to meet our new doctor Phil meet yesterday, Dr Bloom. He is an older really cute man. He is also very nice.
The RT said he is breathing above the vent. Dr Bloom looked at it and replied "that is the most I have seen him do" He said it doesn't make him want to extubate, but hopes it will continue. They are no longer worried about his bowel because all x rays have come back good. They resumed his feeds today but started smaller. Dr Bloom says he thinks the rise in white blood cells was because of the steroid he received and the diarrhea a fluke. He wants to start slow in case that isn't the case though. They are giving him previcaid with his feeds in case reflux is an issue. Nothing has grown on the cultures so as long as that is still the case tomorrow they will discontinue the antibiotics. The also plan on giving him Theophylline again starting Wed to prepare him for extubation around then given that he keeps working above the vent.
Cute nurse Lynette was working with him today. She is so loving. She was working his muscles and talking to him. She said "I think he just needs some more stimulation" She is the perfect nurse to give him that. :)
5 comments:
Good update. This gives a little more info than Nana's most recent emails. Can't wait until I am home and can help you guys out.
I was glad to read this update...Sounds like things are moving in the right direction...Although slower than everyone had hoped. We are thinking about all of you!! Please let us know if we can help with anything.
PS. This is going to have you so ready for nursing school. You are learning all the terminology, tests, etc. etc.
Yay for a little progress! If it turns out he has reflux, ask about zantac as well...they had Spencer on both and it worked wonders!
This is a great update. Glad to hear it was good news!
Glad to hear that his breathing is up! I have been wanting to come up to PCMC to meet you guys for lunch, but I came down with this horrible cold on Sunday so that's the LAST place I need to be. I'm glad you're updating the blog with the latest news. Keep us posted. Praying for Pierce.
Post a Comment