Sunday, June 19, 2011

Saturday was intense!

The past few days had been pretty chill. They were just letting him relax and gain strength while intubated. The plan was to extubate yesterday(Saturday) morning.  I called at midnight friday night and checked up on him. The nurse Rachelle(one of his primary's) said he was doing good. They had weaned his rate down to 15 (breaths per min) and she was just looking for his first dose of steroids. They had decided to give him another steroid burst to help with the swelling in his throat and also with extubation. Great. Phil was on the Father's and sons camp out for the night, so I curled up with my book until I fell asleep.

Then started Saturday...I got a call around 8ish in the morning. They said he had a bad night. He wasn't breathing much above the vent, he had some bowel loops and a lot of watery diarrhea. They were not going to extuabte considering all of this. Phil and I headed up for our daily visit around 1. He was actually very alert for us and other than looking a little pale seemed pretty normal. While there I noticed he had a tube in his nose he didn't have before. The nurse asked us if he had it yesterday and I told her no. She said they like to have a tube into the stomach when a baby is on a ventilator in case some air gets into the stomach it has a place to get out. He has been on a ventilator for 3 days and we are just now doing this?!?! No wonder the kid has a distended bowel, he has a bunch of gas in there! URGH! I was a little bugged about this and hopping that this was the cause for the bowel issues. They were still running some tests and such to make sure he didn't have an infection.

Later that night they called Phil with some results of his blood work. His white blood cell count was at 30,000 (15,000 + is a sign of infection) and his bands at 24 (sign of inflammation) They were really worried because these number were so high and had Phil give permission for them to do a lumbar puncture to check his Cerebral Spinal Fluid (CSF) for meningitis. EEK. We were both so nervous. The called just before midnight and let us know the fluid was clear so that was most likely not the case. They are checking for any other infection. They have done a blood and a urine culture.

Poor kid just cant seem to catch a break. He cant breath, he has poor tone and now an infection. Wow.

Just a side note, while at the hospital on Friday the little man full on squirted poop on me! haha just breakin me in huh buddy?

4 comments:

Cristin said...

poor little thing :(

Shannon said...

Our sweet little baby. Please Lord let him catch a break. He is such a sweetheart. Love him and his parents and brothers.

Jill said...

Poor baby! I can't believe they didn't put that tube in before! Both Spencer and kameron had one from day one... We really hope he starts improving so you can get him home! Sending prayers your way!!

Stacey said...

He looks so good in this pict.